Subscribe to me on YouTube

21.02.2010, 21:21◄ last page     

Romanians beat Viborg in a high tensioned match, Györ with success at Leipzig.

Valcea win top duel

The match was decided with the last second, but in the end Oltchim Valcea was the lucky winner in the top duel of the third match day of women’s Champions League. They beat Viborg 27:26 and remain spotless in group B – like Larvik in group A. Györ kept their chance to qualify for the semis by winning in Leipzig.

Group I:

HC Leipzig – Audi ETO Györ 21:23 (10:9)

Despite the injury of top star Anita Görbicz Györ took the points from Leipzig in a high class match. With now four points the Hungarian rank second after three rounds and remained on their way to the semis. On the other hand, Leipzig again showed a strong performance, but still wait for their first Main Round point. Thanks to the saves of goalkeeper Katalin Palinger Györ turned the game after the break, but 4500 spectators celebrated the home team for a good game despite the defeat. HCL was in lead 14:11 in minute 36, before the bigger international experience of Györ was the key factor for success. After the 17:17 the Hungarians scored twice – and this two goal difference kept until the end. Both defense sides played extra ordinary, but Györ showed more cleverness, as HCL missed 24 chances in 60 minutes. In the end 300 Hungarians fans sang and danced on the tribunes. “We were close to a big success again,” HCL coach Heine Jensen said, “and I’m satisfied with our defense, but if you miss so many chances you can’t win against a top team.” Top scorers were Bradeanu (9 for Györ) and Ommundsen (5 for Leipzig).

Group II:

Oltchim Valcea – Viborg HK 27:26 (16:12)

Romanian victory in the top match of round three: Thanks to their goalkeeper Paula Ungureanu, who saved the last Viborg shot in the final second, Oltchim Valcea remain spotless number one with now six points in group B, two points ahead of Viborg. For the Danes not only the defeat was a problem, but the severe injury of pivot Anja Althaus and the red card against their Romanian player Christina Varzaru. On the other hand, Oltchim played an outstanding first half – thanks to four consecutive goals in the final stage of the first 30 minutes they extended their lead to 16:12. Only seven minutes later the gap was already five goals (25:20), before Viborg started their hunt for the victory. Even as the Danes had to miss Althaus and Varzaru in the decisive stage, they came closer to 27:26, but missed the last attack against Ungureanu, who saved 16 shots in total. Top scorers were Neagu (Oltchim) and Popovic (Viborg) with each eight goals. VHK coach Jakob Vestergaard was impressed by the Oltchim performance: “They are a great team and I think we will meet them again in the final.” Valcea coach Radu Voina was “proud of my players,” and added: “They managed to beat one of the greatest teams in Europe. We aren’t qualified for the semis yet, but we need only one more victory to be sure.”

TEXT: Björn Pazen

 Send bookmark to BlinkList  Send bookmark to del.icio.us  Send bookmark to Google  Send bookmark to Digg  Send bookmark to Yahoo  Send bookmark to LinkARENA  Send bookmark to folkd  Send bookmark to SlashDot  Send bookmark to Netscape  Send bookmark to FURL  Send bookmark to StumbleUpon  Send bookmark to Spurl.net  Send bookmark to Mr. Wong  Send bookmark to Webnews

sign up!